Post Care – Halo
HOW TO PREPARE:
1. It is recommended that all patients having resurfacing treatments done around the mouth have an oral antiviral agent to prevent any cold sore virus getting into the treated areas. Valtrex 500 mg twice a day to start 1 day before treatment and continue on for 5 days post treatment (7 days total).
2. Please discontinue any products containing active ingredients 7 days prior to treatment, such as: Retinol (Retin-A, Tretinoin, Vitamin A), Glycolic Acid, Salicylic Acid, AHAs (Alpha-hydroxy acids), LHAs (Lipo hydroxy acids) and Benzoyl Peroxide. Avoid hydroquinone for 3 days before your treatment.
3. Please come to your treatment appointment with no makeup or moisturizer on your face.
4. Avoid sun exposure (including tanning beds) for at least 14 days prior to treatment. Avoid sunless tanning creams or sprays on the treated area for 14 days prior.
5. Do not wax or use depilatory creams in the treatment areas for 14 days prior to treatment.
6. Please bring a hat with you on your treatment day to protect your skin when you leave the office. If you are treating the body such as neck or décolleté bring a soft non irritating scarf to wear home.
WHAT TO EXPECT AFTER TREATMENT:
1. Redness is normal and expected. Redness generally increases in intensity the first day after treatment. Mild Redness can persist for up to 7 days depending on the aggressiveness of the treatment.
2. Immediately after treatment, swelling is common and expected. Use of a cold compress or ice packs will help to relieve the swelling. To avoid further swelling, you may choose to sleep in an upright position the first night after the treatment. The first morning post treatment is when swelling is more prevalent, especially under the eyes. Swelling may last 2-3 days depending on the aggressiveness of the treatment.
3. Your skin will feel very warm up to 3 hours after the treatment. Use ice packs or cold compresses for comfort during this time.
4. On the 2nd or 3rd day after treatment, you will increasingly notice tiny dark spots and bronzed appearance to the treated skin. This is called the MENDS (microscopic epidermal necrotic debris). In individuals with heavily pigmented skin, or in areas where sun damage has produced pigmented lesions, the microscopic wounds, known as MENDS, contain large amounts of melanin. Because there are so many MENDS, they can make the skin look bronzed and small areas appear crusted (do not try to scratch them off). This is part of the healing process where treated tissue is working its way out of your body as new fresh skin is regenerated. During this time, your skin will be very dry and have a sandpaper texture and will begin to flake and peel. If the face is treated, it could take 5-7 days for the peeling process to be completed. If the neck, chest or anywhere on the body was treated, this process could take up to 2 weeks.
5. After the peeling process is complete, your skin will have a rosy, pink glow that will gradually resolve
6. Itching may be experienced during the healing phase and is completely normal. Oral Benadryl may help itching but can cause drowsiness. DO NOT scratch the treated area as scarring and pigmentation complications can occur.
7. After skin is healed, your skin will continue to build new collagen for up to 2-3 months. It is important to be on a skin care regime to maintain healthy skin and optimal results.
• All products mentioned in these instructions will be provided to you in your post treatment kit.
• You may shower the day following your treatment. When showering in the next few days, please be sure to avoid getting shampoo directly on the treated area. You may consider taking a shower with the back of your head to the water to avoid directly hitting your face with a full force stream of water. Alternatively, you may wish to have baths instead.
• Beginning the morning after your treatment, cleanse the skin with plain, lukewarm water and Cetaphil. Ensure you wash your hands well before touching your face. Use your hands to gently apply the cleanser and water and finish by patting dry with a clean soft cloth. DO NOT rub, scrub, use an exfoliant or a skin care brush e.g. Clarisonic in the treated area. Doing so could result in scarring and pigmentation complications. You will cleanse your skin with Cetaphil twice a day, once in the morning and once in the evening.
• After cleansing in the morning, apply 2-4 drops of the Epicutis Hyaluronic acid Serum to your skin followed by their Hyvia moisturizer. Not only will it help with some swelling, it also decreases redness and downtime.
• Your moisturizer (Hyvia cream by Epicutis) should be applied generously over the treated area immediately after HA serum and reapplied whenever your skin feels dry.
• For added cooling and comfort you can use the Bio Cellulose Mask provided in your post treatment kit. Follow the instructions on the back of the packet. After the Mask, ensure your skin does not dry out.
• Peeling and flaking generally occur within 24 hours post treatment and should be allowed to come off naturally. Peeling can continue for 3-5 days post treatment. DO NOT PICK, RUB, OR FORCE OFF ANY SKIN DURING THE HEALING PROCESS, THIS COULD RESULT IN SCARRING, PIGMENTATION COMPLICATIONS AND INFECTION! Gently washing the skin more frequently will help to promote the peeling process.
• Sunscreen is a MUST and should be used daily beginning the day after treatment and used vigilantly for up to 3 months post procedure. Use recommended mineral sunscreen with broadband protection (UVA and UVB) and a sun protection factor (SPF) of at least 50. Do not use a chemical sunscreen. The SPF provided in your post treatment kit is ideal and what we recommend for daily use (Skinbetter Lotion). Apply sunscreen 20 minutes before sun exposure. Reapply sunscreen every 2 hours. If direct sun exposure is necessary, wear a hat and clothing that covers the treated area. If the treated area is exposed to sun (direct or indirect) blistering, scarring, hyperpigmentation or hypo-pigmentation can / will occur. Direct, unprotected Sun exposure should be avoided for 2 months post treatment (and always really.)
• Three days after your treatment. If possible, please wait until after the peeling process to apply makeup (5-7 days post treatment). Please ensure any makeup brushes you use are properly cleansed.
• Avoid strenuous activity and sweating until skin has healed (5-7 days).
• Ensure your hair is kept back and out of your face at all times during the healing process.
• Continue to avoid skin irritants (ie. Retinol, Retin-A, Tretinoin, Vitamin A, Glycolic Acid, Salicylic Acid, AHAs, LHAs, and Benzoyl Peroxide) for one month after your treatment.
• For men – do not shave the treated area for 5 days after the treatment.