Seborrheic Keratosis in Garden City, NY
Seboreheic Keratosis in Garden City, Long Island
WHAT IS SEBORRHEIC KERATOSIS?
Seborrheic Keratosis is one of the most common noncancerous skin growths in older adults. The growths look waxy, scaly and slightly raised. They usually appear on the head, neck, chest or back. Applied Aesthetic has treatments for Seborrheic Keratosis that can help with the skin issue.
WHO DOES SEBORRHEIC KERATOSIS AFFECT?
Seborrhoeic keratoses are extremely common. It has been estimated that over 90% of adults over the age of 60 years have one or more of them. They occur in males and females of all races, typically beginning to erupt in the 30s or 40s. They are uncommon under the age of 20 years. Seborrhoeic keratoses are considered degenerative in nature.
FACTS ABOUT SEBORRHEIC KERATOSIS
As time goes by, seborrhoeic keratoses become more numerous. Some people inherit a tendency to develop a very large number of them. Researchers have noted:
- Eruptive seborrhoeic keratoses can follow sunburn or dermatitis.
- Skin friction may be the reason they appear in body folds.
- Viral cause (eg human papillomavirus) seems unlikely.
- Stable and clonal mutations or activation of FRFR3, PIK3CA, RAS, AKT1 and EGFR genes are found in seborrhoeic keratoses.
- Seborrhoeic keratosis can arise from solar lentigo.
- FRFR3 mutations also arise in solar lentigines. These mutations are associated with increased age and location on the head and neck, suggesting a role of ultraviolet radiation in these lesions.
- Seborrhoeic keratoses do not harbour tumour suppressor gene mutations.
- Epidermal growth factor receptor inhibitors (used to treat cancer) often result in an increase in verrucal (warty) keratoses.
Applied Aesthetic is centrally located in the heart of Garden City, Long Island. Applied Aesthetic is close to the LIRR (Long Island Rail Road), in a prime location bustling with cafes, restaurants and shopping centers.
For those who live in NYC, Queens, Long Island & traveling to the Hamptons, we have all of your cosmetic dermatology treatments to do on your way!